The remains of the 19th century Stonewall Mine and its former workers’ community are located at the northern end of Cuyamaca Rancho State Park. The site is open to the public daily and has a parking lot, restroom, and picnic tables.
Stonewall Mine was well publicized as a highly successful mining operation by 1886. Gold production at the mine continued to be strong throughout 1886, 1887 and 1888 under Waldo’s direction. For example, 5,182 tons of gold ore was mined and processed in 1888 with a total value of $198,666.
The mine shaft reached a depth of 600 feet in 1892. Stonewall Mine ended production by mid-1892. Total gold ore production from 1888 to 1892 (first three months) was 57,754 tons with a dollar value of $906,063. According to a 1963 California Division of Mines & Geology report, Stonewall Mine was the most productive gold mine in current San Diego County with a total yield of approximately two million dollars over its entire span of operation.
During the operation of Stonewall Mine, a lively community for the mine workers and families was located nearby in the present-day State Park. The community of Cuyamaca consisted of two bunkhouses for single miners, cabins for married workers, a boarding house (that sometime in 1891 became a hotel), the Superintendent’s house, a school, a library, a general store, a cemetery, and support structures.
The drive up here is beautiful:
The old miner’s cabin has now been turned into a museum:
What remains of the mine: